POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Textures as a function of distance (?) : Re: Feature Request: Textures as a function of distance (?) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: Textures as a function of distance (?)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 15 Dec 2005 11:44:23
Message: <43a19d67$1@news.povray.org>
> Would it make any sense to allow multiple textures to be specified on an
> object, where the texture selected is a function of the distance of the
> surface to the camera? Similar to MIP mapping on scanline renderers -- so
> that my gorgeous wood floor texture (yeah right!) can switch to a plain
> brown pigment with no normals when it is far from the camera.

Why not use a spherical-texture-map and map a detailed texture to the center
of the sphere and the brown pigment to the rim? Scaling the sphere would
adjust the "distance-mapping" of your texture.

You'd have to integrate some variables to keep track where the camera is and
translate the sphere accordingly. If you scale the sphere, you'd have to
reverse-scale the textures (I think, untested, but that's what often happens
to me, depending on the approach), but aside of that, there isn't much to be
found which would be impossible for POV-SDL (just the time required to do it
is a nuisance sometimes :-).

Regards,
Tim

--